Match Reports‎ > ‎

Kildysart Secure Garry Cup Status for 2019

posted 11 Jun 2018, 05:27 by Patricia Donnellan   [ updated 11 Jun 2018, 06:54 ]
09/06/2018: Both sides had it all to play for when Kildysart travelled to Kilrush for the final round of the Garry Cup on Saturday last. Both teams were fighting to secure their Garry Cup status for 2019, with the losers joining Coolmeen in relegation to Division 3 league. Kildysart set out their stall with two early goals to put Kilrush on the back foot and thanks to dogged defending and Kieran Eyres, who scored 1-9 over the 60 minutes, Kildysart never looked in danger of surrendering their advantage. Final score: Kildysart 3-11, Kilrush 0-13.

Kildysart’s first goal came in the third minute when Neil O’Connor passed to John Murtagh who drew the goalie towards him. Murtagh, in turn, kicked to the unmarked Keith Murphy who lobbed the ball to the back of the net. Five minutes later Kildysart struck again when Mikey Donnellan, who caused trouble for Padraig Brown all evening, offloaded to the advancing Kieran Eyres to slot a bullet passed the keeper. Kildysart goalie Robert Eyres stopped a point-blank attempt at the other end to keep Kildysart’s momentum going. Kildysart continued to dominate possession and Kilrush had to wait til the 19th minute before Matthew Moloney got their opening score. The inspired a purple patch for Kilrush when scores from the speedy Gearoid O’Brien and Cathal Carrig narrowed the gap to 4, Kildysart 2-1, Kilrush 0-3 by the 22nd minute. The remaining minutes saw each side add more scores to their tally, with the pick of them being a lovely point from Kildysart’s Oisin Coyle after taking on four of the Kilrush defence. This left four between them at halftime: Kildysart 2-5, Kilrush 0-7.

The second half saw Kildysart continue to dominate with Kilrush never looked threatening enough to close the four-point gap. In the 40th minute, Kilrush were presented with a golden opportunity when they found themselves in front of an open Kildysart goal. However, the Shamrocks failed to capitalised on this and popped the ball over the bar instead. Kildysart just kicked on from there and the outcome was never in doubt. Kilrush were given another chance to make their mark when Gearoid O’Brien attempted an injury-time penalty but goalie Robert Eyres was well positioned to block the attempt. Final score: Kildysart 3-11, Kilrush 0-13. Kildysart ended their 2018 Garry Cup campaign on 6 points (joint 4th with Cratloe) but can use their improved form as a basis to prepare for Championship.

Kildysart: Robert Eyres, Paul O’Brien, Brian Eyres, Shane McNelis, Michael Eustace, Rory McMahon, John Ginnane, Keith O’Connor, Kieran O’Brien, Kieran Eyres, (1-9, 4f), Keith Murphy (2-0), Neil O’Connor, Oisin Coyle (0-1), John Murtagh (0-1), Mikey Donnellan. Subs: Ryan Casey for J. Murtagh (48 min), Damien Hill for O. Coyle (57 min).

Kilrush: Thomas Moloney, Padraig Browne, Ross Cullinan, Shane Carey, Chris Dixon, Con O’Brien, Con Prenderville, Stephen Ryan (0-1), Gearoid O’Brien (0-4), Billy Clancy, Ruaidhri O’Connor, Cathal Carrig (0-2), Ross Phelan (0-2), Matthew Moloney (0-2), Liam Madigan. Subs: #20 & #22 scored a point each.