Match Reports‎ > ‎

Kildysart NS Win Final in Extra Time

posted 16 Nov 2012, 11:23 by Patricia Donnellan   [ updated 17 Nov 2012, 03:21 ]
16/11/2012:  The Kildysart National School Boys team won a cracker of a match today beating Corofin in extra time 03-06 to 02-07 in the School's Division 2 final.  It was an exciting match throughout with the sides level 5 times before Kildysart got the lead for the first time at the start of the second period of extra time.

Corofin's goal in the opening seconds came as a shock but Kildysart brought the ball down field and Patrick O'Connell found the back of the net to equalise within the first minute.  Corofin took the lead with a free but Diarmuid O'Donnell levelled it again with a great score from a difficult angle. Corofin pointed again to lead by 1 and started to pull away as they scored a second goal in the 13th minute.  Conor Hassett's goal brought the Blues to within a point again but Corofin added another point to have them ahead 2-3 to 2-1 at the break.  

Emmet McMahon converted a free to start the second half and Seamus Casey pointed to bring Kildysart level within 2 minutes. Captain Diarmuid O'Donnell had an excellent goal chance when the keeper came out and Diarmuid flicked the ball over his head.  A hush fell over the crowd as everyone watched as the ball headed towards the net but ended wide, just inches to the left.  Corofin pointed to take the lead again, but Kildysart answered with a score from Seamus Casey to draw level with 3 minutes remaining.  Corofin again took the lead and Seamus Casey's point in the last minute secured a draw. 

Two 5 minutes periods of extra time was the order of the day and after a break to draw their breaths, the teams were back on the field.  Corofin had a dream start and scored 2 unanswered points to lead at the end of the first period 2-7 to 2-5.  Kildysart took the lead for the very first time in the opening minutes of the last period when Seamus Casey's shot ricocheted off the post and into the back of the net to put the Blue's in front by one. Diarmuid O'Donnell gave the team an insurance point with 2 minutes remaining.  Corofin were dogged and never gave up but Jack Reidy tirelessly ensured the ball stayed in Kildysart's half and Kildysart won 3-6 to Corofin 2-7.

Congratulations to the team who played their hearts out and to their coaches Emma O'Driscoll and Marion Daly for their efforts this year.  Thanks to the teachers and supporters who were the best fans on the pitch as evidenced on the Facebook video of Cup presentation. Team: Garry Murrihy, Paul O'Sullivan, Luke Kirrane, Darren Crehan, Seamus Casey (1-3), Conor Cusack, Jack Reidy, Emmet McMahon (0-1, 1f), Patrick O'Connell (1-0), Diarmuid O'Donnell (0-2), Conor Hasset (1-0), Shane Frawley, JJ McQuaid, James Kelly, Kevin Meaney, Darragh Sheerer, Conor Moloney, Kieran Lorrigan, Matthew Reidy, Fergal Ginnane.