Match Reports‎ > ‎

Kildysart Lose Championship Opener

posted 25 Jul 2015, 11:57 by Patricia Donnellan   [ updated 26 Jul 2015, 06:42 ]
25/07/2015:  Kildysart showed promise at times during their Championship opener but Kilfenora came away with a deserving win 2-9 to Kildysart's 10 points.  Ger Kelly started off the scoring with his first of his 6 points in the match and this was quickly followed by Keith O'Connor, a welcome addition upon his return from New York.  Kilfenora got on the scoreboard with a free to leave Kildysart ahead by 1 with 5 minutes gone.  2 more from Kilfenora and another pointed free from Ger Kelly left it all square after the first quarter.  Kilfenora pulled ahead but Kieran Eyres' 45' drew the sides level again.  The sides swapped points again and were level on 5 points each with 6 minutes remaining in the half.  The closing minutes saw Kilfenora attack with 2 goal chances, one of them went in and the other hit the goal post just before the break.  Score at half time: Kildysart 0-5, Kilfenora 1-5.

Kildysart started the second half brightly with 3 unanswered points in the opening 5 minutes.  Kildysart struggled to get scores from play but frees from Kieran Eyres and Ger Kelly and a long range ball from Brian O'Sullivan which bounced high over the bar put the teams back on parity.  This was quickly followed by best play from Kildysart when Keith O'Connor grabbed the ball high in the air and with a clever pass, fed Neil O'Connor who was breaking towards goal - only to be denied by the keeper.  Kilfenora struck back immediately with a goal to kill the Blues' momentum.  Another goal attack from Kilfenora was foiled by Keith O'Connor who flicked it wide.  The resulting 45' put Kilfenora ahead 2-6 to 8 points as we headed into the final quarter.  Kildysart were down by 5 with 6 minutes remaining when another other goal chance went wide. Each team added 1 more point to make the final score Kilfenora 2-9, Kildysart 0-10.

Team: Patrick Kelly, Michael Eustace, David McMahon, Rory McMahon, John Ginnane, Shane McNelis, Brian Eyres, Damien Hill, Neilie O'Connor, Keith O'Connor (0-1), Brian O'Sullivan (0-1), Mikey Moloney, Ger Kelly (0-6, 5f), Kieran Eyres (0-2, 1f, 1 45'). Sub: Diarmuid Ginnane for J. Murtagh (52 minutes).

Wishing Terry Murphy and Oisin Coyle speedy recoveries.