Match Reports‎ > ‎

Kildysart Intermediates Keep Semi-Final Hopes Alive

posted 5 Sep 2018, 04:52 by Patricia Donnellan   [ updated 5 Sep 2018, 08:29 ]
01/09/2018:  Kildysart moved one step closer to the Intermediate Championship semi-final by eeking out a win over Naomh Eoin on Saturday and now their season depends on the outcome of the final round with Coolmeen in two week’s time. Having led for most of the game, the Blues had to stage an injury-time comeback to get the one point win, Kildysart 1-12, Naomh Eoin 0-14. The match was preceded by a moment’s silence for the Kilkee legend Michael O’Shea and also for Frank Conway who was on the winning Kildysart Junior team in 1966.

Kieran O’Brien put Kildysart on the scoreboard in the opening minutes followed by Diarmuid O’Donnell’s goal in the 5th minute which put Kildysart ahead 1-1 to no score. O’Donnell kicked two more before Naomh Eoin got on the scoreboard from the boot of Conor Magner to give Kildysart the lead at 1-3 to 0-1 by the 12th minute. Naomh Eoin launched their comeback with six points from five shooters to level the match in the 27th minute, Kildysart 1-4, Naomh Eoin 0-7. Things could have been worse for Kildysart only for the quick action from Shane McNelis to save a certain goal. Naomh Eoin took the lead for the first time in the 29th minute but injury-time points from Seamus Casey and O’Donnell gave Kildysart a slight lead at the first whistle, Kildysart 1-6, Naomh Eoin 0-8.

Ger “Bobby” Kelly preserved the slender lead at the opening of the restart by saving a shot by Odhran Lynch. Immediately down the pitch, Seamus Casey extended the lead to two when he took a free from a very difficult angle, however, points from Gavin Magner and Lorcan Lynch brought the sides level again. Naomh Eoin went ahead by two at the turn of the last quarter, Kildysart 1-7, Naomh Eoin 0-12. The game seesawed with the Kildysart coming from behind to draw level again before Naomh Eoin went in front by two with 10 minutes remaining. Kildysart stalwart Ger Kelly, who was in goals, swapped places with forward Kieran Eyres in an effort to drive Kildysart on. His impact was felt immediately as he set up Kieran O’Brien and Keith Murphy points to draw the sides level once more with 8 minutes remaining. Kildysart escaped a sucker punch when Douglas Lynch’s effort flew just inches over the bar, though this left them down by a point heading into stoppage time. The newly-installed goalie Kieran Eyres showed great composure to convert a 40 metre free in the 61st minute to give Kildysart a lifeline and level the match, Kildysart 1-11, Naomh Eoin 0-14. However, not happy with a share of the spoils, Kildysart kept up the pressure looking for the winning score and were provided with an opportunity when O'Donnell was fouled in the 62nd minute. Seamus Casey stepped up and slotted over the winning free to tee up Kildysart for a semi-final spot depending on the outcome of their round three match with Coolmeen on 15th September in Lissycasey. Wins for Kildysart and Kilrush in the next round guarantees semi-final berths for both.

Kildysart: Ger Kelly, Paul O’Brien, Kieran Leahy, Rory McMahon, Shane McNelis, John Ginnane, Keith O’Connor, Kieran O’Brien (0-2), Kieran Eyres (0-1, 1f), Neil O’Connor, Seamus Casey (0-5, 4f), Diarmuid O’Donnell (1-3), Keith Murphy (0-1), Luke McGrath. Subs: Stevie Sheehan for Ginnane (29 min), Oisin Coyle for P. O’Brien (37 min), Mikey Donnellan for McGrath (43 min), Damien Hill for N. O’Connor (45 min)

Naomh Eoin: John Keating, Declan Keniry, Pa Geaney, Conor Telvin, Odhran Lynch, Mark McQuaid, Sean Bonfil, Douglas Lynch (0-2), Conor Downes (0-3), Niall Bonfil (0-2), Conor Magner (0-2), Gavin Magner (0-1), Lorcan Lynch (0-2), Michael Liddane (0-1), Owen Lynch (0-1). Subs: Gearoid Lynch for Liddane (HT), Pa Foley for Keniry (38 min), Eoin Hanrahan for Owen Lynch (52 min).

Referee: Patrick McKeever (Ballyvaughan)