Match Reports‎ > ‎

Junior B Claim League Title

posted 3 Jul 2018, 09:10 by Patricia Donnellan
30/06/2018:  There were celebrations in Kilmihil today when Kildysart ended their 37-year wait with a comprehensive win over Moy to claim the Division 6 League title, Kildysart 4-11, Moy 1-07. Their league campaign started with a big win over Moy and the team progressed passed Wolfetones, Kilmihil, Shannon Gaels, Coolmeen and received a walkover from semi-finalists St. Breckans’s to remain undefeated all season.

Seamus Casey got Kildysart on the board with a goal in the second minute. Casey found the top left corner after a combination play from the veteran Ger “Bobby” Kelly and minor Diarmuid O’Donnell. Casey had only goals on his mind but his second effort was saved by Moy goalie Brendan McMahon though O’Donnell followed with a free in the 6th minute to put Kildysart ahead 1-1 to no score. Moy drew level by the 10th minute with a free followed by a goal from Michael Cleary, which goalie Aidan O’Loughlin got a hand to but not enough to stop it. The sides swapped points again and remained level at 1-2 each until the 20th minute. Points from Christy Clancy, Kelly and two from O’Donnell offset by the sole effort from Garrahy gave the Blues a three-point lead at the short whistle, Kildysart 1-6, Moy 1-3. It was a physical encounter up and down the pitch which saw referee Flan O’Reilly hand out 5 yellow cards and which would eventually see Moy midfielders sent off for double offences.

Moy’s Alan Sexton started off the scoring with a screamer sent just north of the crossbar, but the second half really belonged to Kildysart as they dominated the proceedings. Keith “Bomber” Murphy got the first of his two goals when Diarmuid O’Donnell faked a point and offloaded to Murphy who passed the goalie to fire to the net. Murphy raised his second green flag 10 minutes later and the Kildysart stalwart Ger Kelly grabbed the last honours when he soccered the ball into the net. Kildysart had eight scorers on the day and the backs were relentless in denying Moy the opportunity to develop attacking options.
The win and the style of football on display was a fitting tribute to the late Gerry “Sparky” Finucane, who managed the team for many years. Captain Kevin Kelly paid homage to Sparky and the team shared the Cup celebrations with Sparky’s wife Geraldine and his daughters.

Kildysart: Aidan O’Loughlin, Tony Collins, Paul O’Brien, Cormac Ginnane, Diarmuid Ginnane (0-1), Brendan Frawley, Stephen Sheehan, Keith Murphy (2-1), Brian Moloney, Kevin Kelly-captain (0-1), Ger Kelly (1-1), Seamus Casey (1-1, 1f), Diarmuid O’Donnell (0-4, 3f), Eoin Cleary (0-1), Christy Clancy (0-1). Subs: Noel O’Grady for Cleary (45, inj), Aaron Slobody for T. Collins (48), Terry Murphy for C. Clancy (50), Kieran Connolly for C. Ginnane (52), Dermot O’Sullivan for S. Casey (57 blood sub), Flan Ginnane for N. O’Grady (58, inj).

Moy: Brendan McMahon, Brendan Hayes, Brian Curtin, 
Eamon Moore, Damian McNamara (0-1), Shane Donnellan, Michael Flanagan-captain, Alan Sexton (0-1), Damien Finucane, Michael McConigley, Thomas Garrahy (0-5, 4f), Ross Clair, Michael Murphy, Michael Collins, Michael Cleary (1-0). Subs: John Touhy for McConigley (24), Noel McNamara for Cleary (HT), Denis Murphy for Clair (39 inj), Ronan Keane for Collins (48 inj), Martin Madden for Murphy (53), James Keane for Flanagan (56)