Match Reports‎ > ‎

Great Comeback Gives Kildysart Victory in Corofin

posted 15 Apr 2017, 14:35 by Patricia Donnellan   [ updated 15 Apr 2017, 15:57 ]

15/04/2017:  Kildysart’s strong 4th quarter performance gave the Blues their second win out of three in this year’s Garry Cup campaign beating Corofin 1-13 to 1-11.  Having suffered a heavy loss to St. Brecken’s last week, Kildysart started strongly and had 2 points on the board from the boot of Kieran Eyres by the 6th minute.  It took Corofin 10 minutes to get their first score but they tacked on 5 in a row, led by Clare footballer Jamie Malone, to go ahead 5 points to 2 by the 21st minute.  Kildysart drew level at 5 points apiece by the 24th minute with two scores from Barry Crehan and one from Damian Hill.  However, the north Clare side pulled ahead once more with an unanswered 1-1.  Another Barry Crehan point cancelled out Corofin’s last effort to leave 4 points between the sides at the break: Corofin 1-7, Kildysart 0-6.

Kildysart subs, David McMahon and Kieran O’Brien, who came on at either side of the half time whistle were influential in turning the tide in Kildysart’s favour, but it was goalie Robert Eyres who sealed the deal for Kildysart. Corofin started off the scoring with a point but Luke McGrath countered to keep the gap at 4 points.  Two points from Corofin were followed by a point from Barry Crehan to leave the Blues down by 5 points at the turn of the 4th quarter, Corofin 1-10, Kildysart 0-8. But the game started to turn in Kildysart’s favour when goalie Robert Eyres took the first of his 4 frees just inside the 45’ line.  David McMahon followed with a point and then goalie Eyres was called upon to convert a 45’ to bring the game within 2.  Kieran O’Brien’s long range effort dropped favourably to Damian Hill who fisted to the net to give Kildysart the lead with 24 minutes on the clock, 1-11 to 1-10.  A scoreless 7 minutes ensued when Corofin were awarded a score-able free which they duly converted to bring the sides level at 31 minutes gone.  The referee then announced 2 minutes of additional time and it was all to play for.  At the 33rd minute, Eyres came forward to take the potential game winning free on or about the 45 metre line.  With Cluxton-like aplomb, he slotted the ball between the posts to give Kildysart the lead, and the game carried on.  At the 34th minute, Eyres was again called upon and this time the free was 55 metres out and without fail, he banged over the insurance point.  Final score: Kildysart 1-13, Corofin 1-11.  Kildysart have 2 wins and 1 loss and face Eire Óg next Saturday at home in round 4.

Team: Robert Eyres (0-4, 4f), Cormac Ginnane, Brian Eyres, Kieran Leahy, Michael “Taz” Eustace, Rory McMahon, Brendan Frawley, Neil O’Connor, Shane McNelis, Mikey Donnellan, Kieran Eyres (0-2), Oisin Coyle, Barry Crehan (0-4, 1f), Damien Hill (1-1), Luke McGrath (0-1). Subs: David McMahon (0-1) for B. Frawley 25 min, Kieran O’Brien for O. Coyle 33 min